We hope that the following points might answer questions that you have about our club, but if you cannot find an answer here, do email us via the Contact Form and we shall respond shortly.
- Can you tell me more about the club meetings?
Seven Sisters Camera Club meets every Monday evening from September to May, in St John’s Hall, Meads Street, Eastbourne BN20 7QL; doors open at 7.00pm for a 7:30pm start, and we finish at about 10pm. The meetings vary each week, with a variety of presentations, competitions and inter-club battles, and details can be found on the Programme and Events tab.
- I have a new camera, do you provide tuition or can you teach me how to use it?
Though SSCC does not run formal classes for those new to photography, our members use a wide variety of cameras and are usually happy to chat informally and explain the workings of their models and even to provide tips and information on taking great pictures. The Club operates a ‘Buddy’ service, member will help you learn about your camera and perhaps take you to practise your skills. Once you are a member you will have access to the Learning Zone on the website which has a number of instructional videos as well as a list of resources that you could try.
- How do the informal Summer Evenings work?
People meet at the chosen location at a specified time (listed on the Programme and Events tab when the walks are decided upon) to walk, talk and take photos. Later we visit a local pub and catch up with everyone for a drink.
- What do I get for my Membership?
SSCC Membership entitles you to attend all meetings, lectures and activities for the year, to enter competitions, and to hang your recent prints in our annual Exhibition. You will have access to the members’ area on our website, and can have your own Gallery page.
- I am not a member, can I still come to the summer programme walks and events?
Members do bring their friends, family and even their dogs to our summer walks, so if you are thinking of joining a club you are very welcome to come along to see what we do, get a feel for SSCC, and even pick up a few tips.
- How do I become a member?
Come along to any Monday evening club meeting (see Programme and Events tab for dates of club nights) or contact us through our Contact page.
- What is the cost of Membership?
The current year’s Membership is £58.00 (2023/24) payable from the beginning of the season in September.
For guests there is a fee of £3.00 to be paid at each meeting / lecture attended (only full members will be entitled to enter into the competitions).
- I plan on attending by car, where can I park?
Meads Street is restricted, but free roadside parking near St John’s Hall, in/around St John’s Road is available.
- Can I just come along to a Monday meeting?
Yes, we always welcome newcomers to the Monday evening meetings; there is a £3 visitor’s fee to attend meetings and lectures.
- If I come along to a Monday night meeting to join, do I need to bring anything?
No, but if you are new to photography and would like to know more about your camera, just bring it along and someone will attempt to assist you with any basic questions you may have about it.
- Can I bring a friend?
Yes, however for non-members there is a visitor’s fee of £3.
- How do I contact a member of the SSCC committee?
Please use the Contact Us page and indicate the nature of your question.
- Where can I read / download a copy of the SSCC Constitution?
On joining you can access to the members area of this website where you can view the Constitution.
- Do I have to have a digital camera to join SSCC?
No, SSCC is open to all photographers, film or digital. However, like all clubs, photographers have personal preferences and the majority of members use digital technology to some degree.
- Do I need to be an expert on programs such as Photoshop in order to participate in competitions?
No, that is not necessary, though many members do enjoy electronically enhancing or altering their pictures. It is possible to have your images printed commercially, recommended sites are listed in the Resource section of the Member’s Pages.
- Do I need an expensive camera to be able to participate in SSCC competitions or activities?
No, members use cameras of all types, makes and budgets. If you can use the camera that you have and understand its strengths and weaknesses you can take great pictures.
- Can SSCC teach me what terms such as Depth of Field, F Stops, Mega Pixels, Memory Sticks, etc. mean?
By joining SSCC you’ll be amongst like-minded enthusiasts at differing levels of expertise, from the complete beginner to more advanced photographer. We don’t offer any formal teaching but there is likely to be someone in the club who can help answer a range of questions and offer advice in a friendly environment. We do offer a mentor or ‘buddy’ system when you may be paired with an experienced member who could explain photographic matters on a one to one basis.
- I have some photographic items to sell, can they be sold through the club?
We do not advertise any items for sale on our website. However, we do sell members’ used photographic equipment at our annual exhibition usually held in August. Alternatively, you may find that by talking to fellow members someone could be interested in buying your items.
- I am looking for a Wedding Photographer, can you help?
A. We regret that our friendly club is for the enjoyment of our members so we do not recommend photographers for private events.